July 15, 2013

Peapod Review

Carrying bags full of groceries in the city is no fun. I limit myself to only 2 bags (one Whole Foods tote bag and one large paper bag) but it's still very heavy and I don't really get everything I need. This makes for more often grocery shopping trips and more impulse buys, or chocolate/candy that I don't need. I decided to try a delivery service for my groceries, called Peapod. I like to drink juice and I go through bottles very quickly as well as eat lots of cereal, so that pretty much takes up my whole bag allotment. Also, Peapod has certain products I couldn't find at Jewel (or Kroger's equivalent. yuck). I sure do miss my Publix. The first thing I'm having when I go home is a pub sub and Publix fried chicken and their sweet tea. Anyways. I picked out $60 worth of groceries (that's the minimum order) and picked a delivery time for the next day for 6-8pm. Their website is super user-friendly and their prices were cheaper than grocery stores here.

I received an email at 5pm letting me know that there was a delay in my order and that it would arrive up to an hour and a half later than expected. So that was inconvenient especially since I was counting on what I picked out to be my dinner for that night. It was a few minutes after 9:30 and I still hadn't received my order, so I called customer service and was told it would be there by 10pm and that my delivery fee would be refunded ($10). I got $20 off for my first order, so my total ended up being $50? I think.

I wasn't too mad, just disappointed because this was my first time trying this service! The delivery guy was really nice and informed me that his truck broke down and other trucks had to come take most of his orders. He's lucky he was kinda cute. One product that I ordered was out of stock so they replaced it with something "similar".. I wanted Special K Vanilla Almond cereal and got the regular Special K instead. Major disappointment. The vanilla almond is my absolute favorite. Overall, this was not a convenient choice for me, but I did get a lot of things I wouldn't have been able to get if I had to carry it all. I'm not sure if I will try this again, but who knows, it does seem like a great concept if it goes smoother than this attempt.

Hope this wasn't too boring, but hey this is the city life!