April 25, 2014

First Garland Making Attempt

I have been dreaming of being able to make my own garlands for a few years now. I only own one, but I am forever eyeing at my favorites on Etsy. I'm not very talented in the art department like my mom and brother.. but I feel an itch to be creative every so often, so I thought I'd try my hand at garland making. It was my boyfriend's birthday a couple of days ago and it was the perfect opportunity to make my first garland! I found one I loved on Etsy so I followed it pretty closely but added my own touch to it.
Supplies:

Cardstock
Scissors
Paper glue stick
Exacto Knife
Yarn
Hole Puncher
Pencil

Steps:

First, I downloaded a bubble letter font from dafont.com and printed out the letters I needed in a large size. I was then able to cut them out and trace them onto black cardstock. Which I then cut out using my Exacto knife.
To make the bunting garland pattern, I cut a piece of printer paper in half, folded the half in half, and then cut at an angle to make the missing triangle piece at the bottom. See picture below for details.. it's hard to explain in writing!
After I created my bunting pattern, I traced it onto the colored cardstock of my choice and cut them all out. All that was left was to glue the letters onto the bunting colored cardstock, punch two holes on top of each piece and string the yarn through.

It was a lot more work then what it seems like, but I think now that I have all of the supplies, it will be much easier/faster next time. I really enjoyed creating my very own garland and had so much fun figuring it all out on my own. I even used the leftover scraps to make a triangle garland. My goal is to open an Etsy shop of garlands and I have so many fun ideas to make mine unique.. I just need to borrow my mom's sewing machine and maybe some of her talent of drawing! ;)
Triangle Leftover Garland
Have a great weekend!!